Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
Developed for middle and high school teachers, this book helps educators improve students' reading and writing through Self-Regulated Strategy Development (SRSD), an evidence-based instructional approach that shows students how to apply proven strategies independently to boost their school success. Teachers will get complete lesson plans for teaching strategies that
- Use proven, validated SRSD methods that are based on sound instructional theory and have had documented positive effects.
- Build a foundation for higher achievement.Teachers will discover ways to embed reading, writing, and organization strategies into science and social studies lessons, so students can sharpen their understanding of complex academic content.
- Are classroom-ready and easy-to-use, with helpful lesson overviews and objectives, suggested teacher scripts, explicit step-by-step instructions, and detailed vignettes.
- Help a wide range of struggling learners, from students with disabilities to learners who simply need extra supports (great for the whole class or with individual students!).
- Free up teacher time.When students learn self-regulation strategies, teachers have much more flexibilitythey can assist one group while other students engage in productive independent work.
Practical, photocopiable worksheets and other instructional materials make the lessons easy to implement in any classroom. Teachers will help students develop new skills with a variety of self-monitoring checklists, goal charts, self-instruction sheets, graphic organizers, and more.
With the highly effective strategies in this research-backed guide, educators will help build a stronger foundation for academic success and ensure that all of their students are reading and writing to learn.
*The Alliance for Excellent Education, 2006
Improve skills critical to higher achievement:
- vocabulary development
- essay writing
- story writing
- biography writing
- identifying the main idea of a paragraph
- summarizing content
- quick writing
- sustaining attention
- goal setting
- note organization
- classroom preparation
- homework completion