Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), 5th Edition, Military Version is a unique, continuing education program that directly addresses trauma issues in the prehospital environment. Following the publication cycle of ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support) by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons, the PHTLS program is designed to enhance and increase knowledge and skill in delivering trauma care. The PHTLS textbook is the required book for the PHTLS course, and is also ideal for use as the trauma component of a paramedic course or as a general reference book on trauma assessment and management. Based on Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), 5th Edition, this military version combines both basic and advanced trauma concepts and skills in one definitive resource and features an entirely new chapter on evidence-based guidelines for military medicine, developed by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care. Instructor resources available; contact your sales representative for details.
- A companion CD-ROM with video presentations of the airway and spinal skills used in PHTLS is now included with every book. It also contains information to download onto a PDA, such as the Glasgow Coma Scale, Revised Trauma Score, Rule of 9's, Parkland Formula, and Pediatric Vital Signs.
- Content includes both basic and advanced training and has been updated to reflect the current ATLS guidelines - complete with extensive references and suggested readings.
- A consistent approach for every body region makes the book easy to follow and includes content on anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, and assessment and management.
- Includes chapters on Injury Prevention; Golden Principles of Prehospital Trauma Care; and Triage, Transport, and Trauma Systems.
- Golden Principles of Trauma Care chapter includes information on prolonged transportation and additional treatment for a trauma patient when transportation times are greater than normal.
- Case Scenarios with end-of-chapter solutions and Review Questions are included for every chapter to promote critical thinking and assess knowledge.
- Airway, thoracic, and spinal skills are presented in a heavily illustrated, step-by-step format as Specific Skills.
- The Airway Management and Ventilation chapter includes information on face-to-face intubation, an alternate method of intubating trauma patients. It also defines the difference between pharmacologically assisted intubation and rapid sequence intubation. Includes information on tools such as pulse oximetry and capnography. A difficult airway algorithm aids students in determining which airway adjuncts are appropriate and when they should be used.
- Includes new photographs geared specifically to the military.
- Describes differences in procedures in a non-combat situation and those in a combat situation.
- The Military Medicine chapter, written by the military, provides special trauma considerations and protocols. Military procedures are also found throughout the text, where applicable.