The first Edition of the Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins detailed the fascinating and little known stories behind thousands of words and phrases that we use every day. In this new edition, William and Mary Morris update and expand their classic work to keep pace with our ever changing language.
New entries include:
- New trends--crack, glitch, greenmail, Harrier attack airplanes
- Foreign terms--falafel, geisha, jihad, paparazzi
- People--batman, dead end kid, Dutch uncle, hatchet man, Young Turks
- Given names--Chester, Edith, Jennifer and others
- Food--Adam and Eve on a raft, alligator pear, grapefruit, Harriet Lane
- Sports--box score, cheese champions, full court press
- and many more
Throughout the Morris's present the histories of intriguing expressions in an eminently entertaining and readable fashion.